Monday, March 5, 2018

Tulip poplar - Lirodendron tulipifera

Magnoliaceae - Magnolia Family
"A Year With the Trees" - Tree Number 58
Tulip Poplar
Lirodendron tulipifera


Spring

Tulip poplar in the spring in North Carolina

Tulip Poplar young leaves by Robert Priddy
Summer

The Tulip Poplar Tree in July.  Photo by Robert Priddy
www.RobertPriddyPhoto.com
The Tulip Poplar flower.    These flowers attract birds including hummingbirds, cardinals, finches.

Fall
The Yellow Poplar Tree in the Fall

As I walk by the giant Tulip tree, the leaves blow in the wind.
The sound of fall's crackling leaves surrounding me.
The leaves fall over my body on their way to earth.
I pause as the leaves drift over and around me.
The Tulip tree reminding me to take the time to pause; to enjoy the moment.


Winter

The Tulip Tree dried seed holder

The Tulip Tree can be identified in the winter by looking for a straight and tall tree that still has dried brown seed holders hanging up high in the tree.



 from my journal while at Tremont in the Smoky Mountain National Park

A wooden rocking chair seems to beckon to me onto the porch.  I sit down, close my eyes, and take a deep cleansing breath.  As I open my eyes, I see the Smoky mountains surround me; they are encased in an evening fog.  The air is cool, almost cold as I feel the air enter my lungs.  I can not seem to get enough of the clean air inside of me.  It is like my body has been waiting for this moment for hours or days.

I  hear only sounds of nature.    The sound of water as it flows over rocks and boulders, the sound of dripping water as it falls from the branches of the trees onto the earth.  There are sounds of bird chatter and calls.  


I see Hemlocks, sweetgums, oaks, tulip poplars, sycamores, and ironwoods shrouded in mist.  A bird flies by as I rock in this chair.

I am aware of my breath and my heart beating as I sit here.    I am the only human in sight.  Why do I let so many days go by in my life that I do not still my body enough to hear my own heart beating or listen to my breath as it goes in and out? I am grateful for this quiet winter's day in the Smokies.  Find your moment.



For the love of the trees,
Becky


From my journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aceraceae - Maple Family   Box Elder "A Year With the Trees" - Tree Number 1 January 1 April 1 July 1 October 1 Spring Box Elder d...