Friday, February 16, 2018

Southern Red Oak - Quercus falcata

Fagaceae - Beech Family
"A Year With the Trees" - Tree Number 39
Southern Red Oak
Quercus falcata



Spring
Southern Red Oak, Quercus falcata


Summer

Southern Red Oak, Quercus falcata

Southern Red Oak, Quercus falcata

This southern oak lives in Cookeville, Tennessee, at my Sister's house. This beautiful oak tree is probably 80 feet tall. I love this tree. It reminds of strength; probably because this tree stands so tall and strong each day through the seasons, year after year. It is beautiful, providing food and shelter for countless birds and small mammals.

The leaves of this tree are variable. However, they most always have a long narrow lobe in the center of the leave that is sometimes called a finger. The upper sides of these leaves are shiny green and the undersides are dull with felt-like hairs. The Southern Red Oak has a characteristic bell-shaped leaf base.

I want to climb a big Southern Red Oak tree, and I may just get the opportunity. I found out that Panola Mountain State Park in Georgia has a Southern Red Oak Tree Climbing program. They call it a Nocturnal Tree Top Excursion. Here is a quote from what I read:

Nocturnal Tree Top Excursion

Experience climbing trees like you never have before with a rope and harness at night.
Participants will climb a 90-foot Southern Red Oak. This nocturnal climb will include
fluorescent lichen and other glowing critters of the night, stargazing and night climbing
activities. To register in advance or for more information call 770-389-7801. $20 plus $3
parking.
Panola Mountain State Park / 2600 Ga. Hwy 155 SW, Stockbridge, GA 30281
770-389-7801



The biggest Southern Red Oak in the National Register of Big Trees is in Upson, Georgia. It has a circumference of 341 inches. It has a height of 137 feet. It has been the champion since 1996.
http://www.americanforests.org/big-trees/southern-red-oak-quercus-falcata-2/

A Southern Red Oak leaf that grows on the tree in my Mom and Sister's yard in Tennessee.  

Fall

The Southern Red Oak leaves in September.  This leaf is distinctive with the rounded base.  


Quercus falcata, Southern Red Oak in November

I sat under a 60 foot tall Southern Red Oak one morning in November.  The wind was blowing, bringing the yellow and brown oak leaves all around me.  I lifted up my arms to catch the falling leaves as the wind blew my hair all around my face.  As I looked around I noticed that all the other trees around me were bare except for the oaks.  The oaks were all contributing their leaves to the wind.  To stand under tall oak trees on a windy fall day in November is one of my lifes favorite kind of days.

Winter


Southern Red Oak


Southern Red Oak


For the love of the trees,
Becky
A Page from my journal, The Southern Red Oak

"Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth."
Hermann Hesse

Another journal drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aceraceae - Maple Family   Box Elder "A Year With the Trees" - Tree Number 1 January 1 April 1 July 1 October 1 Spring Box Elder d...