Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November 23 - The Cottonwood Tree - Populus deltoides

The Cottonwood Tree

This tree is on its 4th post, and I still have not found it! I am asking anyone out there to let me know if they would lead me to a Cottonwood tree. If you are far away from me, well you go to your cottonwood for me and visit a while with the tree? Will you photograph the tree for me and send it to me for the blog?

Some ID tips to help one find this tree this time of year:

The twigs are hairless and yellow, stout, brittle, and enlarged at nodes.
The buds lay flat against the twigs. The terminal bud is pointed 3/4 - 1 inch long.
The bark is gray, smooth to lightly fissured, becoming thicker and deeply furrowed with age.
This is the incredible tree with the white fluffy seeds that fly in May signifying the beginning of summer.

So, let me know if you have a cottonwood tree for me to visit!

Rebecca












Peace,

Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. I love Cottonwood trees. I grew up with them but moved away and one of the things I miss most is the smell in the spring of the leaf buds and the snow in summer when the fluff would fly and lie in banks everywhere.
    If I still lived there I would give one a hug and take a lot of photos for you.

    ReplyDelete

Aceraceae - Maple Family   Box Elder "A Year With the Trees" - Tree Number 1 January 1 April 1 July 1 October 1 Spring Box Elder d...