Friday, June 13, 2014

The White Oak Tree

The White Oak Tree

The White Oak Tree was the ninth tree we observed at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville on our May tree walk.

White Oak, Quercus alba
photo by Robert Priddy
http://www.robertpriddyphoto.com/
One of the people on the walk with me that day called this tree the Queen of the Forest.  That is a great name for this tree that can grow quite tall and looks quite majestic with its large limbs.  The acorns are sweet and eaten by wildlife; and if you are quite industrious, you could make a white oak flour to use in baking.

The leaves were all a beautiful green and new on all the white oaks on our walk that day.  One way to id the white oak is by the curved lobes on the leaves.

About the tree walks:
I will be leading two walks this year at the Botanical Gardens at Asheville.  The dates for the walks are May 17th and August 2nd.

On May 17th, 2014, at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville, I led a tree walk.  My goals for the tree walks are to encourage people to get to really know the trees of the Southern Appalachian Mountains as well as to respect and appreciate them.  Getting to know the trees by observation and note taking in all four seasons is how I got to know the trees. So, that is the way I teach others to get to know the trees.

Journalling in a tree checklist is what we did that day.  We stopped and observed 20+ trees that day.  It was the first publication of my tree checklist. 

I got feedback from those that were at the tree walk; I also discovered some corrections that need to be made. A second edition is in the works and will be offered to the participants of my next tree walk to be held August 2nd at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville.

If you are going to be in the Asheville area on August 2nd, I invite you to sign up at the Botanical Gardens and come observe 20 more trees.  http://www.ashevillebotanicalgardens.org/The Botanical Gardens offers other nature classes; so check them out as well.

1 comment:

  1. White oaks are prevalent where I live in Missouri. The bark at times is interesting because of the change from younger to older.

    ReplyDelete