Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Sassafras Tree

The Sassafras Tree

The Sassafras tree was the seventh tree we observed on the Tree walk at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville on May 17th. This tree lives on the service road next to Sunshine meadow.  The leaves were new and full and green.  

Check out the other Sassafras photos by clicking on the name of the tree in the Right sidebar. 

Sassafras, Sassafras albidum, The Botanical Gardens at Asheville

Sassafras, Sassafras albidum, The Botanical Gardens at Asheville

Sassafras, Sassafras albidum, The Botanical Gardens at Asheville

My daughter, Brooke, and I did tree measurements for the Asheville tree map.    You can find our measurements at:  http://ashevilletreemap.org/ 

On May 17th, 2014, at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville, I led a tree walk.  My goals for the tree walks are to encourage people to get to really know the trees of the Southern Appalachian Mountains as well as to respect and appreciate them.  Getting to know the trees by observation and note taking in all four seasons is how I got to know the trees. So, that is the way I teach others to get to know the trees.


Journalling in a tree checklist is what we did that day.  We stopped and observed 20+ trees that day.  It was the first publication of my tree checklist. 

I got feedback from those that were at the tree walk; I also discovered some corrections that need to be made.  So a second edition is in the works and will be offered to the participants of my next tree walk to be held August 2nd at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville.

If you are going to be in the Asheville area on August 2nd, I invite you to sign up at the Botanical Gardens and come observe 20 more trees.  http://www.ashevillebotanicalgardens.org/
The Botanical Gardens offers other nature classes; so check them out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment