Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ulmus americana - The American Elm

Ulmus americana, American Elm

Ulmus americana,  American Elm
Ulmus americana,  American Elm

Ulmus americana, American Elm

I am here at the John C. Campbell school taking a photo class.  Robert, my husband, is teaching a class in composition.  I decided to do a study of the American Elm.

On the branches in the first photo you can see little bump like balls on the branches.  I was wanting to get closer to identify what that was.  So, I pulled out the macro lens and discovered those little balls are buds.  You can see the buds in the second photo and also an up-close leaf.

I also observed the deeply grooved bark when I put the macro lens very close to the trunk.  You can see this in the third photo.

I always appreciate the silhouette of the American Elm with such graceful branches.

This month is the month that the leaves start looking a bit eaten up and full of holes.  Enjoy the insect sounds of August and the interesting leafs with all the insect holes.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I found your site while looking for photos of the Black Cherry in bloom, and noticed you are (obviously) a totally crazy-for-trees person. I'm just to put out the first of 4 books about North American Trees that contains a lot of my artwork, as well as accounts of the trees and their environments, and a few words from the trees themselves. I have 2 websites - one for the book: www.secret-voices.com and one for tree news and weekly updates: www.laurajmerrilltreetalker.com
    If you would like, maybe we could share information, and possibly link our sites. Not that linking to mine would help you much, if you're looking for traffic - but what the hey, right? Anyway, let me know. Laura Merrill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your books...and thank you for sharing your talks with the trees. We humans have so much we can learn from these amazing beings.

    ReplyDelete