Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18 - The American Beech Tree - Fagus grandifolia

The Beech Tree


The Beech Tree
This tree is easy to identify in the winter months for it holds on to it's light colored leaves when most trees have already shed their leaves. The bark is smooth which is another clue. The oaks that still hold onto their leaves look very different; for their leaves are darker and the bark is not smooth like the American Beech.

Today, my husband and I were walking at the Asheville Botanical Gardens, where we found the Beech trees pictured here. These tree's leaves seemed to be glowing in the dark overcast day. Glowing, like lanterns. http://www.ashevillebotanicalgardens.org/


Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. previous owners planted one in our yard and it has amazing color and never looses it's leaves. I keep promising myself I will check to see how long they stay on in the spring but I'm sure it's right up til the new bud forms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know about that. I am interested to know as well just how long the leaves hang on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, from what I've seen, they tend to hold on right until bud break.
    I've climbed many Beech trees and I must say that these are some of my favorite tree to work in.
    One important note, however, is that they don't like to be pruned very hard, so I always keep it minimal with the Beech trees.

    ReplyDelete